Town of Paradise

Fire - Frequently Asked Questions

What are your department hours?

Emergency personnel are on staff 24/7 and can be dispatched by calling 9-1-1.  If you need to contact our administrative office, Station 81 is at 767 Birch Street.  Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

When is residential burning allowed and what can I burn?

The regular burn season runs March, April and May, with a provisional burn season in the fall. For the 2019/2020 open burn period, the Town will allow burning on a continuous basis until May 1st 2020.  The Town has temporarily suspended the East/West burn restriction. If smoke becomes a problem, the Town may re-implement the East/West Burn restriction. Burn permits issued in Spring of 2019 are valid until December 31st 2019.  After January 1st, 2020, new permits will be required for burning through May 1st 2020.  Even with a valid permit citizens must contact the Butte County Air Quality Management District to ensure that it is permissible burn day; if burning is suspended due to fire hazard or air quality reasons it will be reflected in the recording.  See the “Burn Information & Permit” link for specific guidelines, burn dates, and to purchase a permit on-line with a credit card.  During burn season permits can also be purchased at Station 81, paying with cash or check only.  The cost for a residential burn permit is $25.00.

How do I get a hydrant flow review?

If new construction requires you to obtain a fire flow, you can download a request form from this website by going to Our Government > Departments > Building > Information Sheets > Fire Flow Form, or obtain a copy at Station 81. The basic fire flow fee is $86.12, and the form is be submitted to Fire Station 81 with cash or check only.

How do I sign up for the Chipper Program?

The Chipper Program is administered by Butte County Fire Safe Council through grant funding. The program is free, provided you meet the requirements. For more information, their website is:

How do I report a fire hazard?

We appreciate citizens being concerned with fire safety.  During fire season we will follow up on all fire hazard complaints. Please contact Paradise Fire & Rescue at (530) 872-6264 and provide the site address and your concerns.  Our Prevention Inspector will visit the site personally and follow up with the property owner.

My insurance company wants to know the Town's ISO rating, what is that?

Homeowners insurance companies frequently request that individuals provide the Insurance Service Office (ISO) rating or the ISO Public Protection Classification which gauges the fire protection capability of your local jurisdiction.  The entire Town of Paradise is currently an ISO-2/2X.

On July 31, 2012, the Butte County Board of Supervisors voted to ban Scotch, Spanish and French broom.  What does that mean to me if I have broom growing on my property?

Broom is highly flammable and, for fire safety, eradication of this plant is encouraged, but not currently required as long as it does not present a fire hazard as outlined within the California Government Code § 51182.

My smoke detector battery is beeping, can someone help me? 

As one might imagine, there is both a cost and a liability involved in dispatching fire staff to reach high, out of the way smoke detectors.  Citizens are encouraged to make arrangements with a family member, friend, or contractor to maintain personal fire safety equipment. 

Please note that a regular 9-Volt battery operated smoke detector has an 8 to10 year life span.  Effective July 2014, when purchasing a smoke detector it should have a date stamp on it, and an encased lithium or long-life battery in it designed to last up to 10 years; when the smoke detector beeps, a new unit needs to be purchased.

Who can help me with an old fire extinguisher?

Paradise Fire & Rescue does not service fire extinguishers, but there are several private companies in the area that do.  Please consult your local telephone book. For disposal of old fire extinguishers, please contact Northern Recycling & Waste Services.